I'm a thirty - ish young mother from the French west indies. Crafter, origamika, crocheter at heart.


  

I'm a yarnlete!

  

  

my crocheted items

inspiring crocheted clothes

  

  

  

Crochet Blogs
<< >>


<< : Join : List : >>



I'm a crochet cheerleader! I crochet with Dee! Join | List |Powered by RingSurf

  

my favourite games

Words of wisdom


  

  

pink popcorn shrug

At first I wanted to make a shrug as Mrs Who explained. Then I thought I really didn't like to sew things up afterwards, so I thought I would crochet in round instead of crocheting a rectangle (which is a minor change to Mrs Who's method). I didn't know if it would be for me or for my daughter... I hesitated untill I had the first arm finished : after all, my daughter needs new clothes more than I do, she grows so fast.



the stitch : I found it on the online stitch dictionary of the site called le crochet (points pour crochet, page 3 n° 24). Unfortunately, crocheted with a thicker yarn and in round, it doesn't look the same at all... but it still looked ok to me. The trim is a single crochet worked into the back loop of the stitches of the previous row, thus creating a ribbing, plus a popcorn-nope stitch (R1:all in single crochet/R2: 2 single crochet, a 4 double crochet cluster, 2 single crochet/R3:all in single crochet) with regular increase (or decrease as I crocheted from wrist trim to wrist trim) for the wrists. The body has a quite similar trim, I tried to create a pattern with the popcorn flaring out...

the yarn : a cone of unknow quality, cotton I think, 6€ for 2_ pounds, which is a very good price. Rather thick, sturdy but smooth and easy to crochet, crocheted with a n#4,5 crochet. I think I used 800g of it.


My daughter agreed to let me take a picture with her unfinished shrug... isn't she lovely?
It wasn't easy...
 I should have figured out something was wrong, she never kept it on long enought for me to take a picture. Now I know what's wrong : she doesn't like it. So I'm not going to line it or add flowery buttons as I thought I would, it will just sit there in her closet untill I manage to sell or give it off...
 
I wish she would like it. But with children this age you can never tell. Never mind. I'll be more lucky next time.

What I learned from this experiment :


  • crocheting in round is quick at first then really slow (the first arm took 2 hours, wrist included, the last row took half an hour!),



  • Trim should really be done last, what leaves you the opportunity to add rows to arms or fronts, and to have really similar wrists (which is not the case if you crochet from wrist trim to wrist trim)



  • popcorn grains are bigger if there is a row without any between two rows with them (dunno if I'm clear...),



  • the same stitch crocheted in round looks different crocheted in alternate rows, a gauge might spare some surprises...




More pictures to be found in this album.

  

1 Comments:

~Blogger SylvChezPlum~ said :

too bad she doesn't like it, it's sooo cute !! And the collar makes her look like a little victorian lady..!

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Want to link to me?
Copy thoses buttons onto your server
and just do it!



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Click below

 

 

 

un blog Blogger

 

This page under Creative Commons licence