I'm a thirty - ish young mother from the French west indies. Crafter, origamika, crocheter at heart.


  

I'm a yarnlete!

  

  

my crocheted items

inspiring crocheted clothes

  

  

  

Crochet Blogs
<< >>


<< : Join : List : >>



I'm a crochet cheerleader! I crochet with Dee! Join | List |Powered by RingSurf

  

my favourite games

Words of wisdom


  

  

A Cool Hat To Do With A Doily Pattern


may 21st, 2006 failed
blocking with sugared water
the device pinned




This is for my daughter.


I couldn't find any of her summer hats and it's starting to be hot out there.... So I made this hat modifying the pattern of a doily.


It's quite easy:


  • you start the doily as explained in the pattern,

  • then, when you reach the width you need to engulf the head, you just repeat one or two rows according to the shape you want to obtain (1 row to make a tube, 1 row - let's say row 5 - twice, then the following one - row 6 - for a bowl),

  • and then you just finish the doily as the pattern says to obtain the brim.


I tried blocking-stiffening with sugared water, it didn't work (obviously). I'm going to wash it and try again with plain starch, it should work then.

I'll use one of those methods:



Yarn : 100% cotton (made in Brasil) from Pernelle (a French brand), "tropique", 140 yards for 1oz 3/4, color : fushia. I used 1 ball and a half.

Crochet hook : recommanded : 4.5mm (US: 6), used : 3.


Time : less than 4 hours I think, I needed to think the new design out, next time it will be quicker.


This is to mark as ONE COOL THING TO DO WITH A DOILY PATTERN.

I'll try to post about other things to do soon!





Update, May 24th



terminé!
It worked!



  • half a cup of corn starch,
  • half a cup of cold water,
  • half a cup of hot water,

worked through the fiber and pinned to block!...

is white, the color is paler... never mind, it's still pink!



starsh pinned drying still drying almost dry finished!







Last Update, May 29th

This time, it's perfect

I knew the head would be too small, but I tried to force it on her and bam, it was limp again, so I stiffened it again, adding more starch, just in case (eh! it's for a four years old girl, she won't treat it like it were fragile or like mummy put a lot of time in it ).


Rebelotte!

This time I used my two biggest bowls to shape the head and I used a big plate to shape the brim and have a smoother look.



Chinese plate the plateupside downcover with a towelplate and towel let the sun shinedry
dry it is ! now take the shaping-instrument offslowlyvery slowlyneat
perfectand stiff stiff it is the shaping-instrument



And... it works ! ! ! I am delighted!


Since this picture was taken, I added a lace for her to tie the hat under her chin (it's getting windy out there).

Somebody suggested I use gelatine instead of starch
to avoid fading the color or the yarn, I might try that one day...


I'm writing down the pattern of this hat, it should be ready shortly!





Just an update to show a picture of her wearing it :)


Labels: , ,

  

7 Comments:

~Blogger Leigh~ said :

It's turning out beautifully! The pattern and color are perfect. :)

And such a great idea -- I love it! It's hands-down one of the coolest ideas I've seen in a while.

5:37 PM  
~Blogger Pyo~ said :

Thank you Leigh, I'm glad you like this idea, I think it's the recycle gene in me speaking out loud :)

7:51 PM  
~Blogger StarKnits~ said :

that is awesome! it would look really neat on a person!

8:04 PM  
~Blogger Pyo~ said :

Thanks Allena, I think it will, I just wait for my daughter to let me take a picture :op

8:14 PM  
~Blogger Pyo~ said :

Thank you iida :)

10:57 PM  
~Blogger Geraldine ~ said :

Do you think this would work with a limp straw hat that's needs to be stiffened again? I can't find a non-toxic solution online. LOVE your hat and the great results. An email reply would be most appreciated. Thanks. G

www.veggiesyarnsandtails.wordpress.com

9:35 PM  
~Blogger Pyo~ said :

Hi!
I don't think it would be a good idea to dip a straw hat into water and starsh, Had I have a straw hat, I would try and stiffen it with a mix of white glue (Elmer?) and water.

Thank you for your visit!

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Want to link to me?
Copy thoses buttons onto your server
and just do it!



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Click below

 

 

 

un blog Blogger

 

This page under Creative Commons licence